And what we have here, campers, is an object lesson that critical brickbats don’t always mean box office death.
The final installment of the Harry Potter franchise led the 2011 box office, but “The Hangover II” and “Transformers: Dark of the Moon,” which both made year-end Most Loathed lists, finished in the top five.
Michael Bay’s increasingly silly toy robot saga finished second on the year with a jaw-dropping $352 million in domestic receipts, while “The Hangover” sequel came in fourth with $254 million, according to BoxOffice Mojo, which tracks this stuff the way some of us track baseball or soccer statistics.
Here’s the Top 10 domestic earners, by the numbers:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 $381m
2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon $352m
3. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 $275m
4. The Hangover Part II $254m
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $241m
6. Fast Five $209m
7. Cars 2 $191m
8. Thor $181m
9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes $177m
10. Captain America: The First Avenger $176m
Read the full list here.